Monday, June 11, 2012

Minimum Balances: How Much I Spend On Debt

After adding up the numbers I made a horrific discovery: I paid $702.82 in minimum balances in the month of June. True, June is not over yet but I have paid all of my credit card bills with my first paycheck. Imagine what I could do with $702.82 if I did not have all this debt? I could save! What a concept. How come we do not save our hard earned cash if not to just feel secure? When you have debt you lack security because you are not in control. You are vulnerable. 

Security on the other hand gives us confidence. You are not worried about if you lose your job because being financially stable will provide you with the support you are suddenly lacking. But no security equals no support. It has taken me several months to save almost that same amount ($706) in my savings. But if I didn't have all this debt, no problem. 

And we want so much material. We want things that depreciate in value. We want things that provide no substance in our lives. We think these things give us fulfillment. But they do not. They provide temporary "happiness" for lack of a better word. And the "happiness" is artificial. That's why we continue to want more. I liken it to when you eat food filled with artificial flavors and preservatives, foods that have no real nutritional value. When you eat foods like this you do not feel full immediately. You don't feel energized. You feel lethargic if you eat too much of it. You feel sick, like you want to vomit. It's the artificiality in all this that's killing us. 

So when we hoard our hoarding lands us into this mess of debt. And the debt is seeping any life out of our lives. We graduate from college with several thousands of dollars worth of debt. How do you begin a life in all this debt?? It's one thing if you are going into a field that will pay you back what you have spent on education and then some. But many of us are going into debt because of a liberal arts education that's not making us a practitioner of anything. How does the saying go, "Jack of all trades, master of none?" 

I've wracked up all of this debt and for what really? The clothes I purchased I don't even wear. The restaurants I've went to have only added to my waistline. The stuff in my house, do I need any of it really? Do I even take care of it necessarily? Do I take care of the things I've been blessed with? Or do I take these things for granted? 

I spend $702.82 a month in minimum balances. Were the things I went into debt for really worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment